Today’s post is based on the mentor text, “I Hate Poetry”, by a Virginia middle school student. Her poem can be found here (and all the comments that she responded to individually. The comments tell exactly why she “hates” poetry!).
How do you feel about poetry?
Which version best matches your experiences?
Happy Poetry Friday!
( Click here for more info about Poetry Friday.)
- Read student’s poem.
- Studied the rhyme scheme.
- Jotted down some ideas to include.
- Decided that I wanted definite stanzas (so drafting outside of WordPress).
- Used the student’s ideas for the first stanza.
- Decided to repeat part of the first stanza in the closing stanza.
- Drafted, revised, drafted!